Sunday, June 20, 2010

TOUCHING BASE

FROM PHASES TO FACES


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: PHASES 2 FACES

Have not seen Jamal for about 22 years

Arshad used to live in the same block as us

Pai, the youngest of the brothers

Meeting old frendz again

Arshad has a big family of brothers and sisters

The bride's father and brother

Pau - the bride's mother

I used to tutor Wan (in the centre) when he was in Pri 6

Brothers of four

Zuraidah and Zubaidah - Capt Aman's daughter

Two brothers - Roslee and Pai

Hubby with Roslee


Attended an old neighbour's wedding invitation and for all you know I was surrounded by faces and characters who had crossed my life before. I was able to recognise some but unfortunately there were others whom I could not fit the jig-saw puzzle pieces though I tried hard to retrieve who they are from my memory data base. My friends and neighbours had changed so much that I had no inkling as to whom I was talking or vigorously nodding my head at. Strangely, they could recognise me and even recall my name. Wonder what had they been feeding their grey cells with? How embarrassing it was when these friends and neighbours had to prod my lump of brain, stir some grey cells with a stick in order to jolt my memory of them and their names.

I could see their eyes widening and mouth flapping in eagerness, hoping for me to shout out their names with an 100% accuracy. Alas! I failed them miserably and had nowhere to hide my silly face and the apologetic smile I had to wear throughout the day. When I made a wrong guess, dejection was written all over their faces. I swear I saw some who nearly wanted to aim a chair at me for forgetting their names. I must have eaten more than a dozen humble pies in my more than half century of living on that day alone due to my poor recollection of faces to the names. Gingko Biloba must come to my rescue now!

We had been friends or to state correctly our parents had known each other like 50 years back. We were staying at the far end of Jalan Eunos and our paths crossed often during our childhood days. The kampung was demolished in the 70's to make way for development and after more house-moving we reconnected at Bendemeer Road. Since then we had met or bumped into one another on happy and sad occasions.

Flash back:

Stayed at Jalan Ishak
Jalan Madrasah was next
Shifted to 1 Jalan Buntu. Near to Barrack Hitam. My HEAVEN!
Dad bought a house at 10 Jalan Kasturi
Pigeon holed at Block 23 Bendemeer Road, 12th floor

I must one day blog about my kampung daze and relive the best moments of my life!

No comments: