Monday, December 14, 2009

FRIENDSHIP TO CHERISH

THOSE WERE THE DAYS....




Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh my friend were older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same....


Click to play this Smilebox photobook: Friendship To Cherish

Met my old secondary school friends recently. Let me see...probably we have not met for over twenty years and had not had our cuppa over a tee-a-tee since we last got married. Shrieks of laughter and hugs and kisses were exchanged the moment we went into Fau's parents' house. It was a terrific feeling to set eyes on them again. Familiar laughter and faces welcomed me. News on our latest family and working life were exchanged the moment we settled down for pasta and rich English tea.

Since there weren't any McDonalds, KFCs or Pizza Hut back then in the late 60s, we only hanged out at each other kampungs on Saturdays. That was pure simple fun of togetherness and bonding. Joy, freedom and innocence filled our days of school life. I looked forward to such escapades to Kampung Mua'alaf, Geylang Serai, Genting Lane, Paya Lebar, Central, Jalan Eunos, Mac Pherson, Tai Seng, Joo Seng, Punggol, Jalan Kayu, Lorong Engku Aman, Kampung Wak Tanjung, Kampung Amboo Sooloh, Kaki Bukit and many more places which had disappeared and erased by Singapore's development.


I would also visit my non-Malay friends' houses too. Mei Kuen, Saras, Mabel, Chia Hwee and Lorna were my close circe of friends. (Notice no males names were mentioned.) Cycling, talking and eating took up the hours of the afternoons we were together. There wasn't any talks on school projects, assignments or homework nor outings for window shopping along Orchard Road.

The only downtown place we would go to was the National Library at Stamford Road(demolished already), the second hand shops along Bras Basah Road or at Waterloo Street where rarely we would treat ourselves to the best mee goreng ($ 1 for a plate) and Indian Rojak in town. Those moments of togetherness were just letting ourselves soak and immerse in building strong friendship that have lasted up till now. We were constantly reminded to uphold our school motto - Honesty, Perseverance and Courtesy and we wore our grey and blue unform with pride and dignity.

Now, we all have our family and responsibilities. My own children have a different world and issues to face and confront. Thank you Sal, Kam and Fau for the night of sharing and taking a trip back to our days when we would sing and dance forever to have our own ways.


Those were the days my friends we hold on dear to ....which I would cherish forever.

Those were the days my friend we fight and never lose for we were young and sure to have our way. Those were the days, oh yes those were the days......


Never Say Goodbye

I feel the time is getting close,

When we will have to part.

Ill show that I'll miss you,

With last words from my heart.

We must be dreaming,

For it has gone to fast.

The time we have spent together,

Will soon be in our past.

I'll forget this day is coming,

Today I stand here.

Trying to tell you,

How much I really care.

We'll go our separate ways,

And I'll make it if I try.

Just hold on to our memories,

Say Never, Say Goodbye!!!

We won't right, Sal, Kam and Fau?

by Anonymous

' Those Were The Days' by Mary Hopkin 1968

No comments: