Monday, December 14, 2009

HARI RAYA IS HERE AGAIN

The matriach of the Sabiah-Rahim Clan - Hajjah Sabiah Bte Sheik Madar

A new suit and a new chapter of your life

With mum in all her glory and warmth


New deco for the house too besides the new clothes
Thaqif asking for forgiveness from me
My Kitchen Officer Tini who ensures all cooking is done on time

Naqib Nizar with a broad smile and cash in the packet

I love you mum and I will take care of you in your old age

A serious faced Nizar asking for forgiveness

Time to be happy to for father and son

Togetherness as one for them

Please forgive me Granny, pleads Thaqif

Mum and her sister, Hajjah Aishah

A complete family is a happy family

Thirah and Nizar having fun

Thanks for bringing me up mum

Hubby asking for forgiveness from his mother-in-law

You would always be my support mum

RAMADHAN THEN SYAWAL

Hari Raya Aidil Fitri marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadhan. The words ‘Hari Raya’ means ' a day of celebration.' Many mistake Hari Raya Puasa for the Muslim New Year but it is not.

My family's preparation for Hari Raya can start at least one month before the festival. The planning involves deciding on what cookies to bake, buying of new curtains and cushion covers as well as taking trips across the causeway for tailoring new suits. Numerous trips to Geylang Serai, the place that is known for the Muslims to gather, is a must. Nowadays, you can even find Japanese, Americans and Indians tourists thronging Geylang to make their purchases of bags, shoes, costume jewellery, Turkish tablecloth and laced kebayas. Products being sold are becoming more international just like the visitors who drop by at Geylang Serai bazaar.

Tenders would be invited before the bazaars are set up. The seasonal merchandisers would be selling numerous festive items for Muslims. I hear they could earn $40 000 on that Ramadhan month alone. Carpets, clothes, bags, food, music CDs, household items,cars and costume jewellery would also find their way at the stalls. At night the place is lit up with glittering lights. There's very little space to manoeuvre your steps and you better be careful of your purses and wallets among the crowd.
There would also be a wide variety of food which would be sold at the bazaar and they include kuehs, otah-otah, cakes, buns, breads, curry, naan, pita bread, noodles and even Japanese snacks. Shopping for my two sons during this season is a breeze because they don't ask much.
After fulfilling their one-month of fasting, the Muslims would be joyful to celebrate Hari Raya Puasa.
On the morning of the festival, the Muslims would wear their new clothes and go to the mosque to pray. They offer their thanks to God and after that they would ask for forgiveness from their elders. This is an important custom followed by the Muslims. This tradition of asking forgiveness is a solemn occasion and always end up with tears and hugs. I feel that the young ones asking forgiveness from their elders is very essential and should carry on.

My siblings and their children would visit my house on the first day of raya since my mum is staying with me. There's always a lot of cooking to be done to feed the thirty odd people. It may be very laborious but I do enjoy buying the ingredients and preparing and cooking the dishes like rendang, ayam merah, nasi tomato, sambal goreng, achar, pachri, serunding, sambal tumis and lodeh. My kitchen can really feed an army. The cooking will continue till the next three weeks as more relatives, friends and students pay a visit to my abode.

Visits to relatives' houses would begin on the second day and for the next whole month for me and my family. When you have a big family like mine, you tend to put on weight immediately after the fasting month because you get invited to feast at every house you visit.

You lose some weight during Ramadhan but you gain more and faster comes Syawal!

No comments: