Sunday, August 16, 2009

LUNCH @ KOTA TINGGI

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook:


SHOP AND LUNCH

My intention of driving up to Kota Tinggi was to catch hold of my tailor, Su. My previous trip did not bear any fruits as my tailor was away for a business commitment . This time round, I made an appointment to ensure that I would not end up in the same fate as my previous trip - futile. Fruitless? No! I came back armed with load of plastic bags with purchases. Traffic along the Kota Tinggi Road can be heavy with big lorries at noon. We did not want to be caught in the traffic snarl so had left early on that cool Saturday morning for a leisurely drive.

Standing in front of Su's shop, I scanned the small space of the crammed shop to spot her. Piles and piles of materials - lace, songket, organza, Thai silk, batik and satin had arrived. The shop was overfilling with tailor-made bajus and those new stock for the Hari Raya, most of which would find their way at Geylang Bazaar. It was not difficult to detect Su, as she would always be busy with her customers, recommending lovely materials and taking measurement of them. Looking a the riots of colours and the abundant stock of bajus and materials, I bet I could get lost in the shop. I could hardly find any standing place and had to manoeuvre my way between the heaps of materials and newly arrival stock for Hari Raya.

I chose several pieces of materials for Hari Raya suits and worked the design and pattern with my tailor. I love the evergreen baju kurung. It has its elegance and sophistication if you know how to carry it well. I never fail to make a few pieces of it for formal and office wear. To add more glamour, just string some pearls or long chains round your neck. Hey Presto! You have transformed yourself into a 'Datin Wannabe' instantaneously. Having done my selection, we left in search for a cafe to have lunch.

Kota Tinggi is a reminiscence of Arab Street in the 70s. Rows and rows of shops with little ventilation lined the roads selling materials, scarves, telekung (prayers garb), batik sarungs and ladies wear. The whirring of standing fans try their best to keep you cool but the heat can be unbearable on most days. The shops are mainly owned by the Cambodian Muslims (Kampucheans). The ladies are very fair and some have a peachy complexion. They converse in their own language amongst themselves.

We were directed to a new cafe by a pleasant looking salesgirl. It was quite inviting and its deco was simple. More importantly, it was clean and offered local dishes and western meal. My stomach was growling for meat. I had rib eye steak while mum ordered Mee Goreng Mamak. Hubby had white rice with sour fish and Tini had rice with sotong. Feeling satisfied with the meal and the friendly service, we tipped the waiter generously.

My next stopped was to get some of my blouses altered. I stumbled upon a shop which offered alteration services. The ladies did a fantastic job into giving my tops and blouses a much better fit. I left Kota Tinggi with more baju kurung suits. The price was irresistible - at RM 50 each. Who would not grab at that rock bottom price?

No comments: