Monday, January 26, 2009

BOLLYWOOD NIGHT @ BEDOKWOOD

Before leaving for the wedding

Dressed for Bollywood

At the signing of the guest book table


The first family we met - Zubaidah and Qaish

Two divas on the gala night

Cik Ansari, Cik Amy and Ariff

Jabar, Sirah and Fikri

Ina and Fizah

The Rahim-Sabiah Clan

Me and my two god-daughters

The VIP table

Sahrukh Khan, Amir Khan and Bukan-Bukan

Tok Latif and family

Lin just got back from Haj

Shap and Cik Majid aka King Fahd

Met an old friend's mother

With the couple

Found my fairies of the midsummer's night dream

Glitz and glam for the night

The winners of the One Minute Fame

A big family photo

The handsome groom and the beautiful bride

Mak Tom and family looked after Aslam since he was seven months

The wedding is over...

Couple's photo gracing the receptionist table


OM SHANTI OM

It was a night where sequins, gold and diamond glint in your eyes and popular latest Hindi songs force you to gyrate your hip and shake your head. Aslam's and Shakila's wedding dinner was slightly different than the usual wedding invitations I have attended before.

First, we were entertained by four Arabic youths dancing to live middle east music. The dance step was similar to zapin but more sprightly, jumpy and easy-going. Then we had a trio of siblings performing Hindi dances on the stage. The energetic young dancers were superb and all of them had soul and rhythm flowing through every vein of their body. That sets a mediocre dancer and a passionate talented one miles apart.
You just couldn't peel off your eyes of them as they strut and executed their intricate steps on the stage with style and aplomb. Their electrifying and coordinated moves and facial contortions got some of the guests standing up and joining them in their hip swinging and head turning and feet stomping moves. If not for my tired knees, I would have joined them on the stage and showed them my prowess as a dancer too! It's no surprise to discover later that they were the winners of the 'One Minute of Fame' television programme.

In between humming myself to the Hindi songs and shaking my hips and pointing my hands in the air to the like of a Bhangra dancer, I weaved my way around the many white tables to meet up with all the relatives who had turned up to share Aslam's happy occasion. It was another excuse to take loads of pictures and poses ala Holywood superstars among those I approached for a shoot.

The touching moment of the night was when Aslam requested his wedding guests to recite the 'Al-Fatehah' for both his parents whom he'd lost when he was still young. And like the Aslam we all know, who is humble and courteous, he also thanked the people who had guided him through his growing up years. One secret he shared with us that night was that his boss was the 'match maker' who had introduced him to his wife. He must have made an impression to conquer his boss and steal his boss's friend's daughter at the same time. What a man you are Aslam! This is God's way of returning to you back what HE has taken from you earlier.

Upon reflection, I know love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century. Up till now, I still hear my husband complaining that he does not understand me. I don't think he ever will because being the twins, I am excused of having double personalities and traits switching in me intermittently.
So even a quarter or half a century into our marriage, my hubby may not be able to know me fully in and out....Let men tremble to win the hand of woman, unless they win along with it the utmost passion of her heart. But I fear not this match for we are equal partners in this communion.

Here's wishing Aslam and Shakila a long-lasting marriage till death doth them apart. And don't forget that love may be blind but marriage restores sight!

No comments: