Thursday, December 27, 2012

MUMLAND


Mum and her children together with their spouses


Mum went for her medical check-up

My Mum, My World

Attending a wedding function

My son fooling around with his grandma

Mum and her elder sister





Mum using an i-Pad to keep her mind alert

My reliable maid who takes care of mum
















The most beautiful woman in my heart

















A HOLIDAY WITH A DIFFERENCE

Friends have been asking me, "Madam, where did you go for your holiday this time round?” I did not step foot on any faraway continents except to Mumland where I would find unconditional love, inner peace and warmth throughout the year.

I tried to spend as much time as possible with my 82-year old mum this year-end holiday. Mornings would find me oiling, combing Mum’s hair and applying moisturiser to her legs. Breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner would find us sitting together enjoying the food and casual conversations.

We would also have hours in front of the goggle box watching soap operas and dramas with mum taking intermittent naps in between. Then there are the medical appointments and reviews to keep and accompany mum to. Social occasions like weddings, birthday parties and prayer sessions also filled our calendar for the November and December months. I could feel mum’s uneasiness whenever I tell her I have errands to run or meetings to attend. She would then be asking Tini endlessly (my superb and reliable domestic helper) when I would return during my absence.

My Mumland experience has kept me busy and allowed me to serve and be closer to my mum, which, I would not be able to do so on normal school days. As I hold and look at Mum’s gnarled hands, I am reminded of the many years she has sacrificed for the family. Yet never a second has her love for us wavered or wane. What I am doing now is beyond comparison to what Mum had committed her whole life to for us.

My mum is the truest friend I have. When trials heavy and sudden fall upon me; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert me; when trouble thickens around me, still Mum will cling to me, and endeavour by her kind percepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness and cause peace to return to my heart.

My mother is the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical education I received from her. And I find solace in her for the best place to cry is on my mother's arms.

So dear friends, I seek your apology if I am not able to present you with any souvenir items this year. Instead, I present my wish for a fruitful and enriching year ahead for you with your mum. Love your mum for you could be her world.

No comments: