Monday, June 29, 2009

THE UNFULFILLED LIFE

Came across Edgar Allan Poe's poem 'ALONE' recently and dwelled over what Poe was trying to reveal of himself. Poe's writings were best known for his tales of mystery and the twisted mind and macabre. Writing to earn a living was difficult for him, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.

In the poem, Poe was portraying himself as a lost soul, decaying and searching himself within him in a morose manner. Poe had alienated himself from the simple things in life which forced him to spiral into a deeper depression. His feelings were numbed and his eyes were blinded from the simple beauty in life. He plunged and threw himself into the world of darkness and found refuge and immunity from it. Where one would see the heavens or happiness, Poe still saw it dark and demonic in a personification way.

Coincidentally found a YouTube video about the poem.




ALONE

From childhood's hour I have not been

As others were; I have not seen

As other saw; I cound not bring

My passions from a common spring

From the same source I have not taken

My sorrow; I could not awaken

My heart to joy at the same tone;

And all I loved, I loved alone

Then - in my childhood, in the dawn

Of a most stormy life - was drawn

From every depth of good and ill

The mystery which binds me still;

From the torrent, or the fountain

From the red cliff of the mountain

From the sun that round me rolled

In its autumn tint of gold

From the lightning in the sky

As it passed me flying by

From the thunder and the storm

And the cloud that took the form

(When the rest of Heaven was blue)

Of a demon in my view

Edgar Allan Poe

1 comment:

Lily Ash Burn... said...

Nice poem... =)

Me love reading poems too!!